It’s oh-so-easy to overindulge during the holiday season. Save yourself the stress – and the excessive calories – of festive holiday drinks with these healthy mocktail guidelines:
Begin with your base:
- Juice: This will set the tone of your drink. Begin with apple, orange, grapefruit, pineapple, grape or cranberry, sticking with 100% fruit juice.
- Nectars: A rich mango, peach or apricot nectar can be used in place of or along with juice. For maximum health benefits, steer away from nectars containing high fructose corn syrup.
- Non-Alcoholic Sparklers: Diet soda is ok in a pinch, but for a healthier fizz, stick with calorie-free seltzer.
Now for the add-ins:
- Garnishes: Give your cocktail a fancy boost by adding fruit or spices. Grapes or berries add a colorful hue, and provide healthy antioxidants to boot. Get festive with spices like ginger and nutmeg or fresh herbs, such as mint.
- Sweeteners: If you need to add a bit of sweetness to your drink, prepare a simple syrup by adding sugar to equal parts water and boiling for a few minutes until the sugar dissolves.
Now that you have your healthy cocktail creation, divvy it up into martini glasses or champagne flutes for a fancy twist!
We especially love these mocktail recipes from Eating Well magazine!