With winter fast approaching, it’s time to change up the daily skincare routine. What worked for us in the summer and through fall, will not work in the winter. Winter is harsh in so many ways. Aside from the blistering cold, winter brings about dry air that wreaks havoc on the skin. Our experts at the Amenity Day Spa suggest 5 steps to help you prepare your skin for the winter months.
- Switch from a lotion to a cream. Unlike lotions, which are okay for summer months, creams are thicker and will help create a barrier against not only the harsh conditions hitting the skin, but also prevent some of our skin’s oils from escaping. This will reduce dryness.
- Use sunscreen. While it may seem like the rays are not strong enough in the winter months to cause any real damage, they are. Even behind clouds and in cold weather, we recommend using SPF 15 or higher every day. You can never be too safe when it comes to the sun.
- Take shorter showers. This one will be hard for most. In the cold weather, there is nothing better than a log, hot shower. Unfortunately, hot water on the skin tends to dry it out more. Try to not only shorten your shower and bath time, but use warm warmer instead of hot.
- Exfoliate! Since we already know the winter months bring about dryer skin, be sure to exfoliate regularly to rid yourself of those dead skin cells, and make room for fresh moisturized skin.
- Try not to stress. The holidays can be one of the most stressful times of the year. Stress can show in many forms…acne, cold sores, etc. Try to eat healthy, sleep well, exercise and find something relaxing like Yoga or Pilates to help relieve the stress.